Saturday, April 11, 2015

DIY Coffee Table to Bench Encore


Hi all,

After finishing my mirrors, I went right into another long overdue project. I have had a small little bench at the foot of my bed for years.  I found her on the side of the road back in Southfield. She was in really good shape so it just took a can of paint and piece of velvet and she was good to go.


                                                    This little girl was found on the curb.

I have since longed for a larger bench at the foot of my bed. Well, I knew I wanted to give a coffee table an encore and make it into my bedroom bench, it just took me a while to find one that I liked.


                                                         $10 Coffee Table

This one was at the right place at the right time and the right price. How many of you know someone who had one of these?  So, for $10.00 my hunk brought this hunk home for me.

Since it was going to sit right across from a vanity painted in Annie Slaon Paris Grey with silver accents, I knew I had to paint this the same color. All of the rest of the furniture in this room was silver.

I painted this piece very quickly and didn't bother to paint the top as it wouldn't be seen due to the upholstered top I planned to add. I didn't like the faux wood ( plastic) "thing" on the sliding door, so I removed the door and made a new one  from the 1/4' plywood that I had on hand. I added moulding to the door for a more finished look. This was pretty easy except  that I had to remove and sand the tabs a few times to get them the right thickness and height to slide freely in the grooves.



 Once it was painted I sealed it with Annie Sloan Wax. I joined two different pieces of 3" thick foam that I had left over from other projects using 3M Spray Adhesive. The fabric was a great price at my favorite fabric store, Fabric and Fringe in Marietta, GA. I used the spray adhesive on the top of the "bench" to a attach the foam. I then just stapled the fabric to the foam top. I added a plain trim around the edge under the top to finish off the edges.




The door was just a little too plain so as I looked around my garage, I noticed a picture frame that I hadn't used in years. I took the back off and spray painted it with silver spray paint to match the vanity. You can find the greatest drawer/door handles at Hobby Lobby these days.



So, for just a bit of glam I added one and she was done. At first it looked really big in my room but I still have more than 3 feet between it and the vanity and I've grown to like it's "ample" size.

I thought about adding bun feet to the bottom but am glad I didn't becasue the current height is just right. It's so comfy that I sat down, leaned back on my bed and watched a whole episode of Rehab Addict.


                                        Cass tried it out last weekend! It was a hit. Total cost was less than $35.00!!







I think I'm done with this room.  For now!





 photo signature_zps7c00ce20.png

No comments:

Post a Comment